If the storage controller firmware version in your host is older than v.16.00.12.00 - your host requires a firmware upgrade before it can be updated to SynetoOS 4.8.5.
The update sequence below is recommended by Syneto engineering team in order to streamline the update process and minimize downtime required for operating system and hypervisor updates.
Follow these steps:
- Upgrade to SynetoOS 4.7.9
- Double check your storage controller firmware using this guide
- Update ESXi to version 7.0.3o using this how-to guide. Once prompted to reboot the host, select “postpone reboot”
- Put ESXi in Maintenance Mode (in order for the VMs not to start after reboot)
- Upgrade the storage controller firmware using the firmware upgrade guide
- Take ESXi host out of maintenance mode
- Start SynetoOS
- Update SynetoOS from 4.7.9 to 4.8.5