IPMI means Intelligent Platform Management Interface. It is a web based interface that allows, once configured, remote out-of-band management of the hardware appliance through the network.
Steps to configure IPMI
- Connect monitor and keyboard to the appliance
- Power-on or reset the appliance
- When prompted to select boot option, press <DEL> to run SETUP.
- Inside the BIOS Setup, select the BMC menu option.
- Select "Update BMC LAN Configuration", click Enter and select Yes.
- Select "Configuration Address Source". It is recommended to set the option Static
- Select "Station IP Address":
- Select "Subnet Mask":
- Select "Gateway IP Address":
- Optional: If the IPMI version has support for VLAN, Select VLAN and configure accordingly
- When finished, press ESC to exit the configuration menu for BMC.
- Select "Save & Exit" and select "Save Changes and Reset"
- This is an example of a configured IPMI without IPv6 and VLAN
Connect to the IPMI Web Interface
- When booting the appliance, you will see on the bottom right the configured IP address of the IPMI interface.
- Connect through HTTPS to the IP address that IPMI is configured with (eg: https://192.168.1.244).
Use the username and password that are printed on the Quick Installation page that you can find inside the shipping box.
- Once connected to the IPMI web interface, you can easily manage the appliance remotely. Just click on the picture in the "Remote Console Preview" section. Choose "JAVA plug-in" or "HTML5" for your preffered connection method.