To migrate a virtual machine from another server to a HYPER appliance running SynetoOS 5.1 while using a third party tool, these are the steps to follow:
- Create an empty datastore in ESXi from SynetoOS 5 on which to migrate the VM
- Migrate the virtual machine with a tool of your choice to the newly created datastore
- (Optional) Rename the datastore in ESXi to reflect the name of the migrated VM
Create an Empty Datastore
To create an empty datastore in SynetoOS 5.1, please create a new virtual machine then remove the virtual machine from the datastore.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Browse the Virtual machines page.
2. Create a new virtual machine. Call it Temp, for example. Leave all fields to their default value and click Create on the Summary page. The virtual machine is created in ESXi.
3. Remove the virtual machine from ESXi. It will also disappear from the SynetoOS 5 virtual machines list.
The datastore remains empty.
4. Migrate a virtual machine to the datastore using a tool of your choice.
5. Optional: Rename the datastore according to your needs
6. Manage the virtual machine from SynetoOS